TeeRoy's 2 Cents:
- I could use a couple more stamps for my passport. Plus, who knows how long this new city will last.
- WatchKanyego and find a way to make this about him. "'Y'all know who was envisioning futuristic housing communities first, right?"
- I'm just imagining this whole city as like an Akon-centric theme park, with propaganda posters of Akon all over, Akon's music playing over speakers, and a number of Akon-inspired shops, bars and restaurants.
- Lots of rappers brag about putting on for their city, but how many many can say they started their own city?
- Are people actually going to live in Akon's city -- or just visit?
- Akon was born in Senegal before moving to Union City, New Jersey at seven years old.
- He previously set up the solar power initiative Akon Lighting Africa.
AKON: Akon City Coming Soon to Africa
We’ve seen rappers get the key to the city, but Akon is about to take things to a whole new level.
Akon tweeted that he reached an agreement with the government of Senegal for a new region called Akon City. He posted a picture with some African government officials, with the caption “Looking forward to hosting you there in the future.”
He’s had the idea since at least 2018, and will apparently require all visitors to use his cryptocurrency, AKoin.